Session S001 - General Session
February 29 - March 4, 1988
An IBM Vice-President of GPD (I forget his name) appeared and talked at
length about motherhood and goodness. This was a marketing exercise for all
intents and purposes, and it was difficult to stay awake. Here are bits and
snatches of the few interesting things he had to say:
- IBM takes SAA very seriously. Expect SAA in your future.
- It is unclear how serious IBM is about MVS/ESA, but the feeling I
get is that XA users are nuts if they don't migrate.
- R* (the decentralized version of System/R, which in turn was the
DB2 prototype) won't see commercial light until after 1990. IBM
is spending most of its development time addressing connectivity
issues - how to wire the network together.
- Recent IBM announcements have addressed about 30 SHARE and GUIDE
requirements. Expect to find 50 more addressed this year.
- IMS will be supported primarily for high-volume accounts. The high
price for IMS will ensure that IBM gets no new IMS customers.
Back to session index
Back to index of SHARE meetings
Read the disclaimer